Weekly Update

0

Posted by jstutz1 | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on October 28, 2018

10/22 – 10/26

Fall Party:  Our classroom fall party will be Wednesday, Oct. 31 at 10:15 a.m. – 11:30 ish.  We will be having a Kindergarten fall parade prior to our party (in the hallways of the school).  You are absolutely welcome to come and watch this!  If you are planning to help with the party you can plan to arrive at our classroom by 9:50 a.m. to help set up for the party.  The kinders will be leaving the classroom so that the party can get set up without them being in the room.  We will then begin our fall parade about 10:15 a.m.  The kinders will end the parade at our classroom and then begin the fall party.  The kinders are allowed to wear their costumes to school on our party day.  If you prefer they change when they get to school please pack their costume in a bag and I will help them get it on at school.  Please be sure to email me with any questions (jstutz1@hpseagles.net).

Popcorn Words:  like, here.

Color Wordbrown

Math:  We started our second unit in Math.  The Kindergartners did a great job of telling Math stories this week.  We told addition math stories and subtraction math stories this week.  The kindergartners loved telling and practicing these stories together.  We pretended that we were at a dinner table and invited more friends to tell our addition stories.  Then as some of our friends left we told our subtraction stories.  We also practiced making numbers larger than 5 using 5 strips and then some more.  It was a lot of fun using pennies and 5 penny strips this week to make numbers.  When we played our Math games on Friday we practiced making numbers with play dough, finding numbers and making numbers with our math tool kits.  I am so impressed with their Math skills and how much they have grown so far this year!

Literacy:  This week we worked hard on many literacy skills.  The kinders practiced letter ID, sound, rhyming and sight word finding.  They loved playing a fun game “My Fall House” where they found pictures that matched the sounds I would say.  We will play this game more over the next week.  They will play this game practicing letters, sight words, and rhyming.  This game will be sent home later this next week.

Writers Workshop:  The Kindergartners did a fantastic job of writing real stories this week.  They practiced writing their very own story this week.  Picking any story that happened to them and drawing and writing it on their own.  They did a GREAT job!  Next week we will explore writing like scientists.  I am sure the kindergartners will love this next writing genre too!

Readers Workshop:  This week we continued to work on storybooks.  The kinders explored favorite storybooks, using their voices to sound like characters in books when reading the classic, The Three Billy Goats Gruff.  They loved this!  We also read the story Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?  The kinders loved helping me retell the story over and over.  We explored how favorite storybooks are fun to reread and retell over and over again.  They also made a Brown Bear retelling headband, with all of the characters on it.  It is always fun retelling favorite books!

Handwriting:  We completed our “clockwise letters” in handwriting.  The kinders practiced writing h, n, m, b and r.  These packets came home this week.  Please be sure to keep practicing these letters at home.

Mystery Readers:

• On Tuesday, Emmett was thrilled to see his Mom walk through our door as our Mystery Reader.  Mrs. Schollaart read us the book, Whose Garden is it? by Mary Ann Hoberman.  An adorable tale about a garden and all the characters in the story thinking the garden belonged to them.  A great tale!Thank you for visiting with us Mrs. Schollaart!

• Friday, Elijah was overjoyed when his Mom came through our door.  Mrs. Freed read us the classic The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss while dressed as the classic character.  The kinders LOVED it!  Thank you for visiting with us Mrs. Freed!

Conferences:  Conference dates and times were sent home with your child on Friday.  Please be sure to contact me if the date and time does not work for you and we can reschedule.  Our conferences will be Monday, Nov. 5 and Wednesday, Nov. 7.  These conferences are planned to be 15 minutes long.  I am planning to share your child’s progress during our conference time.  Please come with any questions and plan to arrive on time, it will help me stay on track for each conference.  The kinders do not need to attend these conferences.

Cooler Weather:  Brrrr…..as our weather is becoming colder please be sure to send those warmer outside clothes.  Hats, mittens, snow pants, boots, etc.  I do always have a few extra items just in case.  It will be here before we know it.  I will also be sending out a note asking for winter bundlers.  Winter bundlers will come in on our snow falling days to help the kinders get ready for recess.  As soon as the snow falls I will be in need of a few winter bundlers.  This helping will begin at 11:20 a.m. and end at 11:55 – ish a.m.  You are welcome to help as often or as little as you can.  If you know you are interested please email me at jstutz1@hpseagles.net.  A note will also come home with details.

Upcoming Dates:

• Monday, Oct. 29…GYM, LIBRARY – Please bring library book today.
  • Tuesday, Oct. 30…ART
  • Wednesday, Oct. 31…9:50 a.m. volunteers arrive to help set up for party.  10:15 Kindergarten parade begins, party to follow.  STEAM
  • Thursday, Nov. 1…MUSIC
  • Friday, Nov. 2…STEAM, Early Release Day – Dismissal at 12:15 p.m.  Wear RAINBOW colors to celebrate our color words we have learned.

print

Write a comment

Skip to toolbar